The Township of
seeking a leader with strong law enforcement knowledge, efficient management
and accountability skills, and exceptional leadership skills to lead their police
About the Township of Patton
Patton Township was established in 1794. Patton Township is located in Centre County,
and is part of the State College, Pennsylvania Metropolitan Statistical Area.
As a result of expansion at Penn State University
and throughout the State College area, Patton Township has continued to grow as
a residential community. The population of the community was 15,311 at the time
of the 2010 US Census, which is a 34.1% increase from the US Census.
The Township governing body is comprised of a
five-member Board of Supervisors. The Board of Supervisors is an integral part
of the Centre Region Council of Governments (COG), a consortium of six (6)
municipal governments in the Centre Region.
Patton Township operates under the “Council-Manager” form of government.
The Board appoints a professional manager as the chief administrative officer
of the Township.
Township’s operating budget is approximately $9M. Total funds, including capital expenditures,
Department consists of 18 budgeted full time sworn personnel including 11
Patrol Officers, three (3) Criminal Investigators, three (3) Sergeants, and the
Chief of Police. Civilian staff include an Administrative Secretary, Data Entry
Clerk, and two (2) part-time Crossing Guards.
budget for the Police Department is approximately $3M.
The Department is currently in the process of transitioning to a new
regional records management system.
seeks a professional police administrator who is innovative and will work to
continuously improve the Department.
seeks the following characteristics in their next Police Chief (not inclusive):
- Knowledge of, and experience in implementing modern police
- Fosters an environment of teamwork with other Township Department
- Ensures continuous and ongoing training for Department personnel.
- Knowledge and experience with the use of electronic Records
Management Systems, and understanding of information reports that can be
derived from System.
- Follows budgeting best practices and the understands the
implications of a budget for a smaller police agency.
- Communicates effectively with the Town Manager and elected
officials with relevant and complete information for effective decision
- Communicates relevant and necessary information to the public.
- Provides continuous leadership and consistent administrative
procedures within the Department
- Works closely with citizen groups, public and private officials,
and outside agencies; serves as liaison for other law enforcement agencies
to provide technical assistance; and ensures responsive, appropriate
delivery of law enforcement services.
- Exercises independent judgment in planning work of the position
and work of other management staff within the Department.
- Provides overall supervision, leadership, and direction for
division managers; ensures they are performing their duties
competently;assigns areas of accountability; and delegates authority
to subordinate supervisory personnel.
- Exercises authority over all Department staff including hiring,
promotion, transfer, discipline, and termination of individual employees
within established policies.
Coordinates all requests for positions and recruitment efforts via
- Provides staff development and supervisory training programs.
The successful candidate will have:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with major
course work in criminal justice, law enforcement or related field.
- Ten years law enforcement experience, of which five years is
supervisory/command level policing experience.
- Police Management/Executive training (desirable).
A combination of education, training, and experience commensurate with
the position of Chief of Police may be considered.
offers an excellent compensation package, illustrated as follows:
- Annual Salary: $95,000 - $100,000
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Coverage
- Life Insurance
- ICMA RC Pension Plan
package design is flexible and will be structured for the successful candidate.
Email the following items:
· Letter of Interest
· Salary History
· Five (5) professional references (who will not be contacted until there
is mutual interest)
Malayna Halvorson Maes
Senior HR Consultant
Human Resources Group
The final filing date for this position is June 30, 2017.