||Last Updated: Jul 5, 2012 - 9:01:15 AM
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (“MTA”) Police Department (“MTAPD”) is seeking highly motivated, qualified individuals for the position of Police Officer. MTA Police Officers are responsible for ensuring the safety of MTA customers and employees and for protecting property throughout the MTA’s New York and Connecticut operating regions (New York City, Long Island, Upstate NY and Connecticut). MTAPD is a full service police department and assignments may include uniformed patrol, detective division, anti-crime unit, communications unit, administrative services, highway patrol, canine unit, emergency services unit, and counter-terrorism unit. Successful candidates must be capable of meeting all the challenges of the job.
MTA Police Officers Salary and Benefit Information*
• Starting salary of $40,835 (Upon completing 6 years of service the top pay is $84,011 annually)
• Attractive work schedule: uniformed patrol officers work three 12 hour and 20 minute shifts a week (Every third week officers are required to work a fourth 12 hour and 20 minute shift)
• Excellent promotional opportunities
• Comprehensive benefit package
• Tuition reimbursement
• Defined Benefit Pension Plan
• Deferred compensation: 401k/457 plans
• Comprehensive sick leave benefits
*Salary and benefit information subject to change.
Written Examination Qualifications
To qualify to take the written examination a candidate must:
• Be a U.S. citizen; and
• Have a high school diploma or GED; and
• Be at least 19 years of age, but not more than 35 years of age, as of the date of the written examination (Candidates who exceed this age requirement but who have a period of active military duty or terminal leave, not exceeding a total of 6 years, shall have these years subtracted from their age.); and
• Possess a valid driver’s license.
Candidates must apply online to be considered for the MTA Police Officer written examination. Candidates who meet the qualifications will be included in a random selection process to be considered for the written examination. Please note that there is no guarantee that any candidate will be selected to take the written examination or considered for any of the other steps in the selection process.
If selected for the written examination, all candidates’ ages will be reassessed to confirm they meet the eligibility requirements listed above. If a candidate who is randomly selected to take the written examination meets the requirements above, they will receive instructions with regard to providing the required non-refundable application fee in the amount of $40.00.
Those who pass the written examination may be invited for additional steps in the process, including a physical fitness test (using the Cooper Standard for Physical Fitness), panel interview, complete background investigation (felony and some misdemeanor convictions will disqualify candidates), medical examination, psychological evaluation, polygraph, successful completion of the curriculum at the Police Academy, and a probationary period.
Passing the written examination or any other step does not guarantee selection for further steps in the process.
To qualify for appointment a candidate who passes the above steps must also:
• Have a minimum of 60 credits with a 2.0 average from an accredited college at the time of the panel interview; or
• Have 2 years satisfactory, full-time active service as a sworn police officer; or
• Have 2 years active duty U.S. military experience with honorable discharge; and
• Be at least 21 years of age at the date of appointment; and
• Reside in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut at the date of appointment and continue to maintain residence in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut for the term of their employment with the MTAPD.
Please visit our website at http://mta.info/mta/employment/ for instructions on filing an online application. A valid e-mail address is required to file online. If you do not have an e-mail address, please call 646-376-0123 for instructions on obtaining one.
Please note that only online applications will be accepted. Applications submitted by mail will not be accepted or considered. The deadline for submitting applications is August 15, 2012.
Applications received in response to this posting will remain active until
November 30, 2015. Unless otherwise notified, after November 30, 2015,
all applications submitted in response to this posting will no longer be considered.
The MTA is an equal opportunity employer.
© Copyright 2012 by NobleNewsOnline.com
Top of Page