Chief of Police, the Town of Matthews, NC
By the Town of Matthews, Human Resources
Aug 10, 2017 - 2:08:21 AM
Due to retirement, the Town of Matthews, North Carolina, operating under a Council- Manager form of government, is seeking a Police Chief who is visionary and has a demonstrated history of innovative leadership. The Matthews Police Department has a reputation as a highly responsive department with staff who are an active part of the community.
The Community: Matthews is located just outside of Charlotte with easy access to its regional amenities. It's within a few hours of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Carolina coast while providing close access to transportation networks (I-485, U.S. 74), Amtrak service, and both regional and international airports.
Rich in history, Matthews has a historic downtown commercial district with structures dating back to the late 19th century. Matthews has grown to a population of over 30,000 citizens and the town limits encompass 17 square miles.
Matthews is known for its well-attended special events and family festivals, food truck Fridays, farmer's market, new restaurants and more. A major hospital, community college, several senior living communities, and a number of major area employers are all located in Matthews. In addition, many popular parks and recreational facilities are located in the town, including the Sportsplex at Matthews - a brand new recreational facility and home of the Charlotte Independence, a professional soccer team.
Matthews continues to grow and thrive and is a special place to live, work and raise a family. To learn more about the community, click here.
Position description and responsibilities: Reporting to the Town Manager, the Police Chief is responsible for planning, directing, implementing, and evaluating the activities of the Police Department. The Police Chief will be responsible for leading a Department in a community that expects high levels of service and engagement. The Department has a $ 6.1 million Budget, 58 sworn personnel, and 15 support personnel. The ideal candidate will be a strong leader who will work well with the Town’s Management Team, community members, and surrounding law enforcement agencies, and will be experienced and confident in managing all areas of a full-service police department. The Chief is expected to be an engaged chief both internally and externally, trusting his staff to manage incidents but engaged with his officers, fellow department heads, citizens, and partners in multiple jurisdictional agreements. To learn more about the department, click here.
The successful candidate is:
· able to cultivate a strong, effective leadership team within the Department, to include succession planning;
· proactive in developing and supporting staff to achieve excellence through increased training, responsibility, productivity, morale, and retention;
· skilled in developing trust among members of the community and the police department while leveraging opportunities for collaborative problem solving and partnerships;
· an outstanding communicator who speaks clearly, assertively, and transparently with internal and external stakeholders;
· an innovative partner with other Town Departments and Community Leaders;
· able to engage and collaborate with surrounding law enforcement agencies;
· experienced across functional areas; patrol, support services, investigations, and other specialized units;
· knowledgeable regarding the use of technology, data driven approaches to predict and prevent crime, and community oriented policing;
· engaged, accessible and visible within and across departments and in the community;
· consistently updating personal knowledge regarding public policy, public perception, and law enforcement trends (e.g. 21st Century Policing);
· appreciative of the significance of diversity within all aspects of the department and community and has innovative solutions to attracting, retaining and promoting diversity;
· able to maintain public confidence in the integrity of the Department.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, public administration, or other relevant field, and fifteen (15) years of progressive law enforcement experience to include seven (7) years of management/command level experience at the rank of Captain or higher. A Master’s Degree and Advanced Law Enforcement Training are preferred.
Must have a valid NC driver’s license or the ability to obtain a valid NC driver’s license within 60 days of hire. Must have current certification as a municipal or local government law enforcement officer by his/her respective state or with no more than one-year break in full-time sworn service at time of appointment. Please note that North Carolina law does not recognize nor have a reciprocal relationship with Federal law enforcement certification but does recognize and give partial credit for military police (MP) training, receipt of a MP occupational specialty classification and performance of MP duties.
The Town of Matthews will require that the Police Chief will reside in Matthews within six (6) months after the date of employment.
Salary range and Application Process:
$92,000 to $103,000 with negotiation within the range based on credentials and experience. To apply, you must complete an online application via Developmental Associates' online system (or copy and paste https://www.developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/ into your browser). Click on the Chief of Police – Matthews link. Resumes may be uploaded to the system but will not be accepted in lieu of a fully completed application. The application closing date is September 8th. An assessment center will be held in Matthews for selected finalists October 11-12, 2017. The Town of Matthews is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
© Copyright 2017 by NobleNewsOnline.com