Chief of Police, the City of Albuquerque, NM
By the City of Albuquerque, Human Resources
May 15, 2018 - 8:46:09 PM
The Chief of Police is responsible for the administration of the Albuquerque Police Department, which has approximately 1,500 employees and an annual budget of about $170 million. The position is responsible for overseeing and directing activities related to crime prevention, law enforcement and related policing services. The Chief of Police is expected to exercise sound judgment, proficiency and innovation in establishing and administering Department operations. The Chief of Police must demonstrate and promote high ethical standards within the department, advance collaborative and inclusive community initiatives and effectively implement constitutional policing practices.The Department is under a court-approved special agreement with the United States Department of Justice, relating to use of force and other issues. The Chief of Police is expected to provide strong reform-minded leadership as the Department works to achieve and maintain compliance with the special agreement. The unclassified at-will position reports directly to the Chief Administrative Officer.
This is a safety sensitive position subject to random drug/alcohol testing.
This is an unclassified at-will position.
Salary is dependent upon qualifications.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: * Bachelor's Degree or higher in criminal justice related field (Master's degree is preferred).
* Ten (10) years or more of experience in law enforcement management/supervision (Preferably with a law enforcement agency within a major metropolitan area, at or above the rank of Captain/Commander or equivalent).
* Completion of Northwestern University School of Police Staff and Command or the FBI National Academy (Preferred).
* Ability to successfully pass a background investigation.
* Ability to obtain a New Mexico Driver's License.
* Ability to obtain a New Mexico Law Enforcement Certification: Must currently hold a law enforcement certification and be eligible to qualify for the New Mexico Law Enforcement Certification by Waiver course (Non-NM applicants).
* Understanding of the Report on the President's Task Force on 21st Century Policing, Constitutional Policing, Procedural Justice and building Trust and Legitimacy in a Community.
* Principles of Community Policing programs.
* Functional knowledge of U.S. Department of Justice settlement agreements.
* Advanced knowledge of crime prevention and law enforcement strategies.
* Knowledge and experience utilizing a centralized technology center (e.g., Real Time Crime Center) to direct proactive, predictive, and preemptive policing concepts.
* Principles and practices of quality victim services; understanding of specific challenges related to mental health, homelessness and victims of interpersonal violence and sexual assault.
* Understanding of the needs of businesses and the tourism-based community and its impact on public safety.
* Principles and practices of organizational management and leadership of a large law enforcement agency.
* Applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations.
* Understanding of collective bargaining agreements.
Preferred Skills & Abilities
* Effectively direct, plan and organize the activities of a large police department.
* Critically analyze problems, identify alternative solutions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
* Effectively implement, facilitate and expand community policing initiatives.
* Promote collaboration and innovation.
* Exhibit exceptional communication skills.
* Weigh risks and consequences and make clear decisions.
* Equitably interpret and apply City policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
* Diffuse conflict and gain cooperation through discussion and persuasion.
* Motivate, select, supervise and evaluate personnel with integrity and accountability.
* Promote fiscal responsibility in administering a departmental budget.
* Develop and uphold professional standards for police; deliver quality training.
* Develop and maintain effective partnerships with community groups.
* Perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
© Copyright 2018 by NobleNewsOnline.com